Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

BrainRush: A short, fast-paced learning game that automatically adapts to meet the needs of each student.

Game Based Learning (GBL) is a teaching methodology becoming increasingly popular in the classroom.  The premise is to use games that are designed with the idea of achieving learning outcomes to teach content.  I recently stumbled on a neat GBL resource called BrainRush.

BrainRush offers game based learning activities tied to all K-12 subjects.  The site provides  the opportunity to learn using existing game based activities called BrainRushes or by creating or customizing your own.  These games use an "adaptive practice technology" allowing this platform to be ideal for differentiated instruction. 

Accessing BrainRush is easy.  You can sign up for free using the Google sign up option (this allows you to sign in using your DCDS credentials).   Once logged in you have the ability to create a class to monitor student progress.  Here are some ideas for use in the classroom:

  • Bell Work/Bell Ringer Exercises
  • Homework Practice
  • Vocabulary
  • Stations
  • Remediation
  • Test Preparation
My favorite way to use this application would be to have students demonstrate mastery by creating their own BrainRushes. I am a big proponent of having students demonstrate mastery by creating (whether it be games, presentations, or assessments.)  I think in order to create and deliver meaningful content, students need to truly understand the content. These BrainRushes can then in turn be used review assignments for other students.  






6 comments:

  1. I noticed that today as well. I am hoping the site is only down for maintenance and will be up and running soon, but it is hard to tell. I checked their Facebook page, but it is not providing any detail. Lots of comments asking what is wrong only. I will monitor it and reply back with a comment if I find anything more out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like the site was down for maintenance. I just went to the site and it appears to be fully functional now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dean I just checked this site out, I can't wait to test some materials out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marta, let me know how it works out and pass the word to other faculty if you find things that work...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way you explain everything is just great. Amazing job.
    Also, Please check out my game Traffic Racer .
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete