Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

The Most Dangerous Writing App...don't stop typing, or all progress will be lost!

Practice makes perfect.  That is what I share with my own children, my students athletes and former students when I taught.  The same holds true with writing.  I still remember hearing my high school english teachers telling me the best way to become a better writer is to write.

I recently was told about an interesting application that could be a fun and interesting way to have students practice writing.  The app is a website based application called The Most Dangerous Writing App.  This application encourages you to keep writing...no matter what.  Here is how it works:
The application forces users to keep a writing flow.  It is designed to "shut down your inner editor and get you into a state of flow."  Before you begin typing, you have the option to set the amount of time you would like to type for (3, 5, 10, 20, 30, 60 minutes or hardcore mode...which I have not tested so I am not sure what that means).  Once you click start, begin typing and continue typing for the duration of the time you selected.  If you stop typing for more than 5 seconds all of your work will be deleted.  If you type without interruption for the duration you selected you have the option to save your work (copy/paste it somewhere or download it as a .txt file). 
The Most Dangerous Writing App could be great for brainstorming activities or free writing, but I would definitely avoid using it for essays and research papers...you will see why once you try it.  I've also heard teachers using it as bell work assignments leading into lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment